10 Scary Sleep Apnea Facts Just in Time for Halloween
When you think about things that scare you – especially around Halloween – your immediate thoughts probably gravitate toward the usual: ghosts, zombies, vampires and psychotic killers from iconic slasher movies like Friday the 13th. Heck, maybe your mind even wanders to classic phobias like spiders and clowns.
But let’s be real. Many of those terrors don’t even exist, and your chances of running into a clown are pretty slim unless you’re at a circus or a kid’s birthday party. The truth is, there are plenty of real-life things that should scare you that probably aren’t even top of mind – like health issues that can effect your overall well-being.
So in the spirit of Halloween and all things scary, here are 10 scary sleep apnea facts that everyone should know about:
- People with sleep apnea stop breathing repeatedly while they’re sleeping. This can happen hundreds of times per night, and often for a full minute or longer.
- Untreated sleep apnea can lead to some pretty scary health complications, including
heart disease, stroke, high blood pressure, diabetes and depression.
- CPAP masks, though extremely effective at treating sleep apnea, are breeding grounds for mold, bacteria and viruses, which thrive in warm, moist environments.
- CPAP users have an 18% higher risk of getting an infectious disease than those who don’t use CPAP therapy, typically as a result of dirty CPAP equipment.
- Insufficient sleep can affect your judgment, mood and ability to learn and retain information.
- Many people have no idea that they have sleep apnea. Studies estimate that nearly 80% of people who have this sleep disorder are undiagnosed.
- Sleep apnea sufferers are 2.5 times more likely to be the driver in a car accident than those who don’t have this sleep disorder.
- In one study, children with untreated sleep apnea scored an average of 11% lower on language arts, math and science tests than their healthy peers.
- CPAP masks can absorb the oil and dirt on your face, and coming into contact with this can cause your skin to become irritated.
- Sleep loss can lead to irreversible brain cell damage.
All scary stuff, right? But here’s the thing: Just as vampires can be warded off with garlic and werewolves can be subdued by a silver bullet, you can protect yourself from many of the scary things associated with sleep apnea with the help of CPAP therapy and the SoClean Automated CPAP Equipment Cleaner.
Be your own hero and fight back against sleep apnea by getting the treatment you need to keep this disorder under control.